• The History of Thomas A. Edison Jr. Sr. High School

    The Lake Station Schools, prior to 1977, were known as East Gary Community Schools. Until 1930 the East Gary Community Schools were a part of the Lake County school system. Until 1932, Lake Station (East Gary) educated its students in grades one through ten inclusive. The 11th and 12th grade students were transferred to Emerson School in Gary for completion of high school credits leading to a diploma.


    The original Edison High School building at 2540 Pike Street housed students in grades 9 through 12 from 1932 until 1956. An enlargement of the gymnasium and additional classrooms were added to the three story building in 1950. The first high school graduating class from Lake Station (East Gary) was granted diplomas during commencement exercises on May 28, 1934.


    Thomas A. Edison Senior High School was opened at 2295 Parke Street in the fall of 1956, leaving the junior high school students in grades 7 and 8 in the original high school building until the 1977 renovation. By 1961, a new million dollar addition was dedicated at the senior high school, which housed grades 10-12 inclusive. Overcrowding in the elementary grades caused a shift of 6th grade students to the junior high school in the fall of 1961, and consequently moving grade 9 students to the senior high school in the fall of 1961.


    In 1977 a new $5,000,000.00 building addition to the high school was completed to house grades 7 through 12.